July 27, 2018

Wheat Halwa | Godhumai Halwa ( आटे का हलवा) - Instant halwa


Share with friends and family

The moment we hear the name Godhumai Halwa/ Wheat halwa , we can visualise a nice glossy spoonful with dripping ghee that will slide down our throat giving us a sense off eternal bliss and happiness :)

Traditionally , this halwa is made by soaking whole wheat grains for about 6-7 hours and then grinding and extracting the wheat milk, which is further cooked in ghee and sugar mixture with continuous stirring until it gets to the halwa consistency. Trust me the end result is worth all the effort and labour involved in preparing it.

Now a days in this fast paced lifestyle ,not many have the patience to make it the traditional way and resort to buying it from the shops .
Today, I shall tell you how to make this halwa at home with whole wheat flour and achieve the same taste without much exertion and strain.



Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 15-20 mins
Serves : 2

Ingredients


1 cup/whole wheat flour
1-1.5 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
3-4 cardamom pods
3/4 - 1 cup ghee

Method


  • Powder the sugar and cardamom powder in a blender and keep aside
  • In a deep pan, heat 1/4 cup ghee and roast the whole wheat flour until it turns brown and you can feel a good aroma of roasted wheat flour.
  • Carefully pour the boiling water into the roasted wheat flour and stir quickly to prevent lumps.
  • Add the powdered sugar and keep stirring by adding ghee little by little .
  • After 5-6 mins the entire mixture will look glossy and ghee will start oozing from the sides and the mixture will leave the sides of the pan. This is the perfect consistency .

Notes:

  • You can also use more ghee if you want the dripping effect as available in stores, I dint use much and restricted to using less than 3/4 cup.
  • Continuous stirring is the key to get a seamless ,glossy and lump free texture.
  • The water has to be boiling when pouring else, the wheat flour will form lumps.
  • The halwa can be poured on a greased tray and cut into squares also like how we do for barfis.
  • preferable to use a non stick vessel as it will help in cleaning later.

Pin me up !!




8 comments:

  1. An interesting way to prepare wheat halwa Priya. I remember my grandmother too would soak the wheat and use the wheat milk to prepare a glossy halwa. Haven't had it in ages. Your recipe is a temptation to try making it my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard and read a lot about wheat halwa, now I need to try in my kitchen. Looks tasty Priya. Have made ladoo and burfi with wheat flour but not halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you are definitely tempting me with this yum wheat halwa. Not had it in ages and your easy recipe is something I will love to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husbands family is the one who introduces me to this smooth wheat halwa. It is so tempting to see it on your blog. I love how shiny it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my MIL used to make this, but never got around to make this or record the recipe. The godhumai halwa looks fab - glossy nice shine to it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wheat halwa with lots of ghee and dry fruits. It’s been along time since I made this halwa. Your pics are tempting me to make it . Love your easy recipe Priya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love halwa of any kind. Yours looks so delicious. This type of halwa is usually made at ours for when we do certain poojas so not made it for a long time.Seeing your recipe, I am tempted to make it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love wheat halwa, this instant version is so quick and easy to make. wonderful to see it has the same glossy finish as the traditional one! Keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete

If you feel your search for the recipe ends here and this blog has helped you with that,please do drop in a word / suggestion ,which will motivate me further to help you guys !!